Monday 20 August 2007

Charles: Prince Charming or Prince Charmless?

As we reach the tenth anniversary of the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, old history is dragged up time and time again. The bulimia, the adultery, the marriage breakdown is rehashed over and over again, to sell books and to raise viewing figures on television.

But has Prince Charles had a bad deal over the last twenty six years? My answer is most likely no.

The major problem I have with Prince Charles is that he should never of married Diana. He should not of bent to the pressure put on him by his parents, his grandmother, the media and the public. He should of stood up and said 'No, I don't love her'. He has only ever really loved Camilla Parker-Bowles. My second problem I have with Charles is once he bent to the pressure to marry Lady Diana Spencer he did not give up Camilla. He married Diana with adultery in his heart and that was wrong. I believe that marriage is all about being faithful to your chosen spouse and he couldn't be as Camilla was the only woman in his heart.

Another issue is that he was jealous of his first wife's success with the general public and media. Instead of huffing and puffing and sulking like a baby, he should of accepted that Diana was the one who the media was interested in and gotten on with life. The Prince and Princess of Wales were a super couple, who could of took the world by storm if only Charles had put his jealously and insecurity behind him.

His ability to play the victim in most things makes me laugh at times. He cannot see how his temper tantrums, and his knack of throwing things at his staff will lead to negative media stories. I am sure if he could curb his behaviour then the press wold be much easier on him.

But he does have his good points. He cares passionately for London's skyline. I agree with him that our historical skyline is being ruined by modern skyscrapers such as the 'erotic gherkin' also known as the Swiss bank building. His work with the Prince's Trust, enabling young people to set up their own businesses and make their lives a success is something he deserves to be highly proud of. I respect him for him taking on 'unsafe' issues and issues that will make him unpopular with the press and businessmen etc. I like his sense of humour and his quips to the press make me laugh. He is a funny man.

And I think it's that sense of humour, where he happily puts himself down that makes it hard for me to stay angry with Charles for long. I will always land on Diana's side but I hope I am grown up enough to accept and understand that both Charles AND Diana made mistakes in their marriage. Both did right and both did wrong. And more importantly both did tell lies during the War of the Wales which makes it hard for any royal follower to really get to the bottom of what went on during that high profile marital breakdown.

After Andrew Morton published his book 'Diana: Her True Story' in which the late Princess threw open the doors on their marriage, causing it to crumble like chalk, Buckingham Palace planned a counter attack, labeling Diana 'mad' and 'unstable', saying the effects of her eating disorder, bulimia nervosa was sending her mad. In a act of dignity, Charles, apparantly, refused to enter into a war of words in the media, disallowing anyone to assassinate Diana's character and her mental stability. I thought highly of Charles for that one act. I just wish that some of the more ardent Diana fans would remember this and at least credit Charles with that act of kindness. Diana herself choose to leave this out and that is a act I can't forgive her for.

Now he is married to Camilla, his one true love, we see a happier Charles. A more relaxed Prince who glows in front of the camera's. I don't agree with the adulterous relationship Charles and Camilla conducted through his marriage to Diana, however, a happier Prince will make for a happier King I feel, and with Camilla by his side I am sure Charles will be the best King he can possibly be.

So is Charles a Prince Charming or a Prince Charmless? I don't think he is either. I just think he is a Prince with good characteristics and also some great f laws too. So I guess in my mind, it makes him a Prince Normal!

No comments: